To find success in the world of online marketing and content creation, it’s all about knowing who your niche audience is. Whether you are starting your first blog or your 100th, it’s all about focusing in on your target audience, knowing what they want and finding out how to provide value to them in the process. Once all of this is in place you can then start thinking about a monetization method to start earning money off your content and site traffic.
In this article we are going to be looking at ‘academic writing’ as our niche market, with students (in high school and college) being our demographic audience. I will be giving you the basics of how to start a blog, brainstorming ideas for coming up with content material and also how you can recommend writing services and earn some money in the process.
How to Start a Blog in the Next 5 Minutes
Creating a website or blog is dead simple thanks to the power of WordPress. If you don’t already have a site of your own, click the image below and instantly save 60% off any web hosting plan. We’ve currently partnered with HostGator to provide you with the best hosting plans and discounts possible.
I’ve also highlighted each of these steps below and how you can setup each of them for our academic writing case study.
- Choose a Topic and Create a Blog
(academic writing. target audience is students)
- Domain, Hosting and Installing WordPress
(pick a domain, hosting plan and install WordPress)
- Start Creating Content for Your Site
(focus on writing guides and college paper formatting)
- Getting People to Visit Your Blog
(sharing your content and getting it to rank in the search results)
Each of these steps are easy to follow, and as you read through the guide below you will have a much better idea on how to set them up with your site.
Target Audience and Content Creation
With your web hosting, domain and site now live, it’s time to start focusing on the content of your site. If you want to create an academic site with the intention of hitting your exact audience (students) and being able to monetize your content in the process, you should focus on a “how to” structure. This can work extremely well because millions of students are starting high school and college classes every year. Something each of them need to know is how to properly write their papers, essays, bios and much more.
If you need to come up with a few ideas for your content, just visit Google Keyword Planner and type in a few niche keywords. Here’s an example of what comes up if you were to search for “how to write”.
Should you click on any of these keywords, you can then open up even more keywords based on your selection. This will help you with getting as niche and specific as possible.
The goal with this type of content is to rank for relevant keywords in Google by writing high-quality content. To effectively rank your site, you will also need to increase social shares to your site and backlinks. A great place to share your site content and generate a few backlinks would be through writing tutorials, guest blogging and providing it as a reference in student or school-based Facebook groups. We all know that a whole new set of students go in and out of college and advanced learning every year, which makes this a perfect audience to target and continually find new business year after year. A perfect example of this would be if you were going to try and rank for a term like “student essay help“, which is something that is searched for millions of times per year.
In order to start ranking for such a term, not only do you need to have great content and value, you also need some high quality references on other sites as well. One of the best ways to accomplish this is to simply create a service or resource that others find value in, and will share with other audiences for free. See what other types of sites are ranking for such a term in Google, and you will start to get a few good ideas.
How to Make Money with Your Site Content
For most site owners and bloggers, then end goal is to eventually make money with their site. What most content creators and bloggers don’t realize is that it all comes down to providing the best resources and solutions to your audience — and not just ‘creating content’. SEO and traffic is a must as well, but the most important thing is hitting your target audience with the right offers.
Since we are focusing on creating a student resource site for academic writing, it would only make sense to try and promote a service that fell within these guidelines as well. If you are completely lost and just want to start serving ads on your site, you could throw Google Adsense up on the site and see what happens. However, if you would like to earn more money it would be best if you looked into affiliate marketing.
A good example of this would be Studybay.com, as they have an affiliate program that pays 60% of referred customers (first sale) and an additional 15% commission on all future sales for life.
Here’s a quick summary on Studybay and why they would be a great fit for making money with a writing or student-based resource site.
Studybay Academic Writing Services
Studybay is a website for students, professionals and anyone who has a need for academic and expert writing services. The site is focused towards solving the problem of students not having time to complete all of their writing tasks or simple for those who are stressed out and overwhelmed with more important writing topics.
The guidelines on the site are quite simple, as the service in a whole might be frowned upon from professors, schools and businesses — however, there is a massive demand for these types of writing services. All content is promised to be unique, professional and come at competitively low prices. All great things to consider if you were to promote the site through your own academic writing site.
- QUALITY ASSURANCE – All registered experts have solid experience in academic writing and have successfully passed our special competency examinations.
- ZERO PLAGIARISM GUARANTEE – All registered experts have solid experience in academic writing and have successfully passed our special competency examinations.
- LOW PRICE – Studybay offers the lowest prices on the market. Our prices start at just $5 per page!
- NO INTERMEDIARIES – In ordering from us you are working directly with writers, and not overpaying intermediaries. So, you save up to 50% of the cost.
As mentioned earlier, there are many different types of papers that can be written and each of them come with their own writing styles and formatting. This is where recommending a service like Studybay really is effective. You can see a listing of all writing services listed below; which includes essays, outlines, creative writing, dissertations, business plans and much more.
Site owners can join the Studybay affiliate program and earn a commission on all referred sales to their site. Again, if you have an academic writing site, this could generate a ton of money from each customer you send to their site (as much students are in high school and college for fours years each). It’s important to note that you will receive lifetime commission on every new customer you send to Studybay.
Affiliates of Studybay will also benefit from the following.
- 64% An industry beating 64% CR (Conversion Rate) for paid and fulfilled orders.
- 10 orders – The average number of orders per client on our resource.
- 24/7 – We convert your traffic even at night, holidays and weekends.
- A Personal Manager, Available 24 hours a day
- Instantaneous payments, in any method of payment you choose
- Your referral is tied to you forever and do not expire.
To get started and join their affiliate program, click here.
How to Promote Your Site and Grow Your Following
The last part of the process is to make sure you put all of your high-quality content to use and getting it to rank in the search results. At the same time, it’s important to remember that this won’t happen over night. There are more than a billion active sites on the internet today, so be sure to implement each of the methods below to improve your chances for ranking in Google and getting new backlinks and traffic to your site.
- Social Media – There are currently over 2 billion users spread across the major social networks. To ignore this audience would be a huge mistake. Make sure to create a fan page and profile for your site on all of the major social networks and to also use hashtags and college trends to hit your target audiences.
- Guest Blogging – A great way to build high-quality backlinks to your site is through guest blogging. Find other relevant writing and student resource blogs, contact them to provide content for their site and earn a backlink within your author bio.
- References and Guides – To get really valuable backlinks, be sure to create higher-quality content than what’s currently out there. A good example of this would be if you were to create a unique infographic on the top 10 schools of 2016, or 7 writing errors you are probably making. Create something unique that provides values and also something other sites and users would want to share.
- Press Releases – Not as effective as they used to be, but still worth an occasional run are press releases. Write your press releases in a style that grabs attention and use current trends in the social media and college world to possibly have other sites/press see your releases and share their content with other audiences.
Creating a website or blog is extremely exciting, however it can be quite slow in the beginning. Don’t give up and always keep the end goal in mind. To speed up your path for success, always go as niche as possible and focus on your content marketing and not just content creation!