People love quotes from Stranger Things for a variety of reasons. First, the show features relatable and memorable characters. Many viewers see aspects of themselves or their friends reflected in characters like Eleven, Dustin, and even the uncompromisingly fierce Nancy Wheeler.
Additionally, Stranger Things takes place in the 1980s and often references pop culture from that era. These references evoke a sense of nostalgia for those who grew up during that time period and also give younger viewers a glimpse into the past.
Finally, the quotes from the show tend to be clever and thought-provoking. Lines like “Friends don’t lie” and “I am not your lab rat” have become popular catchphrases in everyday conversation.
Overall, the charming characters, nostalgic setting, and quotable dialogue make Stranger Things a hit with audiences. It’s no wonder people can’t get enough of the show’s memorable quotes.
37 Quotes from Stranger Things Episodes
1. “Friends don’t lie.” – Eleven
2. “Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.” – Jim Hopper
3. “You shouldn’t like things because people tell you you’re supposed to.” – Jonathan Byers
4. “If anyone asks where I am, I’ve left the country.” – Steve Harrington
5. “I don’t care what you believe in, just believe in it.” – Joyce Byers
6. “You can talk to me. You can tell me anything.” – Nancy Wheeler
7. “Friends listen to what you say. Best friends listen to what you don’t say.” – Steve Harrington
8. “Every day may not be good… but there’s something good in every day.” – Joyce Byers
9. “You don’t have to be afraid of me. You don’t have to be afraid of anything.” – Eleven
10. “The truth is always in the light.” – Hopper
11. “I never would’ve survived without my friends.” – Mike Wheeler
12. “I’m not a scientist, I’m just a guy with a TV and an alphabetical cable guide.”- Dustin Henderson
13. “Maybe normal is just what you’re used to.”- Will Byers
14. “I can never make things right, so I just try to make them better.” – Jim Hopper
15. “I’m the one who’s sorry… for everything.” – Eleven
16. “It’s like my brain is a snare drum and someone’s beating on it with a pencil.” – Will Byers
17. “If anyone asks, I was here the whole time.”- Steve Harrington
18. “Sometimes bad things happen, and there’s nothing anyone can do about it.”- Joyce Byers
19. “You don’t have to be a hero all the time, Mike. It’s okay to be scared.” – Eleven
20. “We’re not friends anymore unless we do this together.”- Lucas Sinclair
21. “You can’t spell America without Erica.”- Erica Sinclair
22. “I don’t want to go back to being boring old me.”- Max Mayfield
23. “Friends come and go, but family’s forever.” – Karen Wheeler
24. “People who care about each other, they remember the little things.” – Jim Hopper
25. “You’re my favorite person in the world, and I love you more than anything else.”- Mike Wheeler to Eleven
26. “The only thing that matters is what we choose to do with the time that we’re given.”- Joyce Byers
27. “There are things in this world, creatures… alive or not, that are just not meant to be understood.”- Jim Hopper
28. “We’re all flawed, and that’s okay.”- Will Byers
29. “Don’t ever let anyone tell you who you are. You define yourself.”- Eleven
30. “There’s a difference between being lost and choosing not to be found.”- Billy Hargrove
31. “I don’t know if we’ll ever really understand each other, but I do care about you… a lot.”- Steve Harrington to Nancy Wheeler
32. “You can’t run away from who you are, no matter how much it hurts or how hard you try.” – Jonathan Byers
33. “No one should have that kind of power. It’s not natural.”- Mike Wheeler about Eleven’s abilities
34. “Maybe it’s not about getting them back, maybe it’s about letting them go.”- Nancy Wheeler
35. “Some doors can only be opened from the inside.” – Joyce Byers
36. “You don’t have to do this alone, okay? Not anymore.”- Jim Hopper to Eleven
37. “It’s important to have people in your life that make you feel normal… but I guess we’re not really normal, are we?” – Dustin Henderson
Fun Facts About Stranger Things
In addition to being a highly successful show loaded with memorable quotes and moments, there are also plenty of secrets and interesting facts about Stranger Things as well. Here are just a few of them.
1. Did you know that the show was originally titled Montauk? It was changed to Stranger Things after the creators found out about another project with a similar title.
2. The town of Hawkins, where most of the show takes place, is named after Back to the Future actor Matthew Lawrence’s mother, Gloria Hawkins.
3. The Duffer Brothers, who created and directed the show, were inspired by classic 80s films such as E.T., Stand By Me, and The Goonies.
4. Millie Bobby Brown (Eleven) shaved her head for the role and had to wear a wig until she filmed all of Eleven’s scenes with short hair.
5. Gaten Matarazzo (Dustin) and Caleb McLaughlin (Lucas) both auditioned for the role of Mike.
6. Winona Ryder, who plays Joyce Byers, improvised her iconic “I’ve got work to do” line in the season one finale.
7. The Demogorgon, the monster in the first season, was originally called “The Monster” or “The Beast.” It was only given the name Demogorgon after fans noticed a Dungeons and Dragons poster with a similar looking monster on it in Dustin’s room.
8. Eleven’s signature outfit of a pink dress and white sneakers was inspired by Drew Barrymore’s character in E.T.
9. Shannon Purser, who plays fan-favorite character Barbara “Barb” Holland, only had one line in the first episode. She went on to become such a beloved character that fans started the hashtag “#JusticeForBarb.”
10. The show’s theme song is a synth-heavy cover of The Clash’s “Should I Stay or Should I Go.” It was created by Kyle Dixon and Michael Stein, members of the band Survive.